May 18, 2011

Quilt X: The One That Got Away

My good friend Julie is fond of quilts and last year I was happy to surprise her with the "throw" sized "Faded Memories" quilt - a kit from "Patchwork With Gail B." We'd agreed before then that at some stage I'd make her a queen size quilt for her bed, so long as we could find a design she liked and was within my rather limited range of ability.

We had lunch a while back and I took along the newly pieces top for the "Forbidden Palace" quilt - a quilt made up of Japanese prints (Quilt 10). Julie is mad for Japanese prints, so naturally she went wild for it. She doesn't really want another throw size - but felt that if this kit could be expanded to make a queen spread, she'd really love to have it.

So out comes my Quilt Wizard software. First I "built" a quilt the same dimensions as my throw-sized project, but added 3 rows and 3 columns to extend it so that the "stained glass" panels would cover the entire top of a queen bed. Then I added borders (Julie is fond of pinks/mauves, hence the colour choice below).



Not half bad! I figured we could get another kit from the shop and I could pick up fat quarters to extend the fabric. The pink/mauve border is a bit overwelming - and so we were looking at using more neutral colours.

Unfortunately we've had to shelve the project, as the funds that might have gone into the materials were badly needed elsewhere.

Oh, well.... maybe next year?

No comments:

Post a Comment