November 17, 2010

Advance Australia Fair

Going "off topic" again for a moment...

I came to Australia 4 years ago as an immigrant. I'm so glad I had this opportunity and am very grateful to the many wonderful people who have been so kind, helping me along the way. I'd like to name them all here, but there are too many to name. And not just my beautiful Australian family and friends, but those back in Ohio who supported my decision (even though they didn't really understand).

And - as of November 12, I became eligible to apply for citizenship. I took that step on the day. There's a citizenship test I have to pass (and I'm studying hard) and then waiting to be notified when and where I will participate in a citizenship ceremony.

And so, one day in 2011, I will stand with other immigrants, recite the words:

"From this time forward, under God,
I pledge my loyalty to Australia and its people,
whose democratic beliefs I share,
whose rights and liberties I respect, and
whose laws I will uphold and obey."

and sing our anthem:

"Australians all let us rejoice
For we are young and free..."

(As a side note - my love for Australia in no way diminishes my love of the United States. In becoming an Australian citizen, I will retain my American citizenship, which I am able to do legally under the laws of both countries.)

No comments:

Post a Comment