June 8, 2011

Quilt 10: Using a "swirly" template

Oh, I adore this quilt. Here it is just before "sandwiching" (as you may have noted, I've developed something of a "tradition" here of draping a newly pieced top over my stairwell rail and taking a photo just before sandwiching....) I adore this quilt.



But... what colour thread to use for the quilting? And how should I quilt it?

The colour problem was solved instantly by my friend and quilting guru Pauline. "Grey," she advised.

"Of COURSE," I exclaimed. "How perfect!"

But now for the quilting pattern. Up to now I've more or less just followed the shapes of the blocks. Not much imagination there. This quilt demands more. So I selected this template:


In choosing this template, my thought was to avoid too much "squareness" in the quilting. The shapes of the blocks are so regular that it just seems to need some softness. And this template is perfect because the swirls fit neatly inside the individual rectangle blocks.

In the picture below you can see how I've placed them: 2 swirls per block.



And on the back (which is solid black fabric), the result is terrific - lines of swirls darting through the black backing (the camera here reflected the fabric, making it look medium grey - but trust me... it's black, not grey):



And so away I go.

This template's results are great, but I have to admit that it's a step up the ladder for me in terms of challenges. The switch-back on the points inside the swirls and the sharp curve of the swirls themselves make it hard to move very fast. Still... it's gorgeous, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment