April 20, 2016

Saying "Goodbye" to the Chicken Quilt

Back about 20 years ago, my mother gave me a very funny wall hanging she'd made from a pattern she'd found.  "The Chicken Quilt" really is cute - all those hens standing around staring at a lone green worm (who is looking back at them).  Depending on how you felt, you could be the chickens or the worm.
It's clever, and I hung it in my office when I was still living in Ohio.  Back in 2010 my mother-in-law allowed hubby and me to take over her spare bedroom and outfit it for ourselves to stay in during fire season, when the fire danger where we live is too great.  We painted the room white and I hung the quilt on the wall over the bed (and Judith thought the quilt was hilarious).

I wanted a bedspread with similar colours and couldn't find one - and that's what got me started quilting.  Here's the Chicken Quilt hanging over the bedspread I made (my first quilt project).
The wall hanging and bedspread have been there ever since.

I have to admit that I no longer really look at the wall hanging, and am ready to change the room.  We're changing the whole house, as a matter of fact, having hired an architect and builder to do a massive renovation there (his mother passed away in 2010 - but we kept the house as a second residence and our "bolt hole" on high-fire danger days).  So over the past few weeks, we've been gradually sifting through everything in the house and preparing to empty it in advance of the renovation.

Yesterday I finally got around to working on that bedroom and well, I decided it's time to let go of both the bedspread and the wall hanging.  I don't really want them anymore, and there's nobody in the family who I know of who wants them, so I folded them carefully and donated them to the "op shop" run by the Brotherhood of St. Laurence.

Both pieces are clean and in good condition, and it makes me smile knowing that they will certainly be snatched up by someone who will really get pleasure out of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment