April 13, 2016

Quilt 57: Jelly Roll Nine Patch "Plus" - Design

I came across this jelly roll at my favorite quilt shop - and just fell in love with it.

Cut into 2.5" squares and mixed with pure white squares of the same size seemed to me a good way to go.  I got my quilting software out and played around, coming up with this:
I like that design quite a lot, but the jelly role I'm working with doesn't have that much colour.  I'm thinking all that white area will somewhat overwhelm the white-and-blue prints.  I went looking online and found a design I liked quite a lot, which doesn't have quite so much white in it.  Here's my version of what I found online:
What does your eye see here?  My eye sees groupings of 9-patch blocks with 4-patch blogs.
There are 400 2" blocks in this top, 144 of them blue and the rest are white.  Add 3 2" borders, and the overall dimensions will be 52" x 52".

There are 40 strips in the jelly roll, and I can get 17 two-inch squares from a strip.  I've got more than enough, then to make this quilt 4 times if I want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment