November 29, 2017

Quilt 98: "Valley of the Kings" Jelly Roll Race - DONE!

My sister Janelle and I share a passion for ancient Egypt. When I found this jelly roll online, I knew I had to get one and make a quilt for her.

"Valley of the Kings"! How perfect!
I love the prints in this - and after opening up the pack separated them into piles of like colours/patterns.  I racked my brains for months (well over a year, actually) before finally deciding on doing a "jellyroll race" quilt.   Here's a link to a video which shows how to do this kind of quilt:  Jenny's Jelly Roll Race Tutorial
The final quilt was a bit wider than I wanted and not quite as long - so I cut 2 3-inch strips from the sides:
Here's the finished quilt.  If you look at the top and the bottom, you'll see where I placed those 2 strips. 
2017 - 49" x 76"  quilted on the longarm ("Blustery Breeze" groovy boards) - bamboo batting
(doubleclick the photo to see a larger image)
And here's the backing:
I opted for deep gold for the back and quilted it with a light gold thread.  The thread shows up on the back, but pretty much fades on the front - exactly what I wanted for this quilt.

Janelle is moving this weekend into her new condo - and this quilt is a house-warming gift for her.  I can't wait to give it to her!

No comments:

Post a Comment