October 3, 2018

Quilt 114: "Baby Koala" Panel Quilt - DONE!

Now that I've worked out how to use the Q-Matic for end-to-end "pantograph" quilting, I'm really having a ball - and getting quilts done faster and faster!

I found an adorable Koala panel online a few months ago - and ordered it and a coordinating print (blue, green and grey leaves) for a border.  Adding a little bright solid green from my stash of leftover fabrics ersulted in a quilt that took very little time to put together.

I decided to experiment with the quilt design on this one, and chose "Panto_Square Meander" from the library of end-to-end designs in the Q-Matic.  Here's a photo taken just after I started stitching. As you can see, it's much like my free-motion "loop-d-loops", but with squares instead of circles.
I selected grey thread in the same shade as the koalas - so that the stithcing over the koalas fades back a bit.  I'm very pleased with the results!
 And here's the finished quilt!
40" x 56" - quilted on the Bernina Q-matic longarm ("Panto_Square Meander" stitch design, end-to-end) - cotton batting
The back is solid green - and here the stitching really shows up.  I love the effect!
I'm getting quite a bit more comfortable with the Q-Matic now, and have managed to figure out how to handle it when the top thread breaks and when the bobbin runs out, which happened a couple of times on this project.

What I don't know how to do is: restart quilting after shutting the machine off halfway through.  I'm sure it's just a matter of saving the design in the computer properly, but I won't be attempting it on any projects until I've successfully done it with some practice scraps.

No comments:

Post a Comment