May 16, 2015

Seeing Red - Again...

When I was preparing my "practice projects" (for the new longarm), I pulled out some fabrics in my UFO closet which had been there for quite a while. One, in particular, was 6 yards of solid red fabric.

You already know where this is going, don't you?!?!

So yeah - I washed it, and because I've had a bad experience with red (with my very first project, no less!), I threw in a sacrificial white cotton facecloth. And yup, sure enough, that facecloth is now pink.

-sigh-

When I bought this, I also bought a similar length of dark green fabric. Was that also going to bleed? No. It came through the wash just fine - and the sacrificial facecloth tossed in with it came out as white as it was when it went in.


I washed it again - same thing.

Quilting guru Pauline suggested I soak it in a water/vinegar/salt solution. So I did. Then washed it one more time. No joy. The solution certainly leeched out some of the red - but one more time through the wash and the results are the same as before.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Well, the light at the end of this tunnel is the fact that I need "throw away" scraps to practice on my longarm. This will do nicely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment