October 28, 2015

Quilt 45: Soccer - DONE!

Friend Anna's grandkids are visiting from Germany. She wanted each of them to have a quilt, and I was delighted to make them.  The "All the Pretty Horses" quilt I made last month was for her granddaughter. Now it's time to do one for her grandson.

He's mad for soccer, so we opted for a bold design using a soccer print. Here's the design:
My design software didn't have a print with soccer balls on it, so I've substituted.
And here are the blocks being joined by the red lattice:

I'm loving this quilt already, and am just amazed at how quickly it's coming together.

And here's the assembled top with the borders on it.  When I reached this stage, I realized I had a big problem.  As must as I tried not to pull or stretch out the borders - they did get stretched a bit, which you can see here because the quilt top isn't hanging straight up and down, but is waving at the bottom. That's because the final border (the red) did stretch out ever so slightly as I was putting it on.

Gulp!

Going to be some serious "easing in" to do on this one as I tack down the edges on the longarm.
It was a bit of a job, but I managed to get the ease worked in on the side - and here's the finished project:
I used the "Baptist Fan" groovy board and quilted with red thread. It worked out perfectly, as the red thread is only slightly visible on the soccer print and the black-and-white borders, You really don't notice it much, which is exactly what I wanted.

I just love this quilt - and I adore the soccer fabric Anna picked out. I love it so much that I went back to the shop and bought some more of the soccer print, and will make one of these for "Inspirational Quilts". I'm sure they'll be able to find a good home for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment