December 23, 2015

Quilt 51: Doggoned Placemats (super fast and fun project!) - DONE!

Aunt Sheila lives up in Ballina, NSW, with Ben, her dacshund ("Cousin Ben").  She's the kind of person who can be tough to shop for at Christmas, but this year I came up with an idea: placemats with a dog theme!

It was a fun project and I'm delighted with the results.

I bought 2 "fat quarters" (below) and 1.5 meters of solid maroon for the borders, backing, binding.
I cut the fat quarters down into 5" squares, using 3 squares of each print.
I opted for a narrow border, stitched the whole thing into a single panel (below), with double the border between the placemat blocks.  I opted to use gold thread for the quilting.
After quilting, I just cut the mats apart - super fast and easy!
And here they are - all done!
And hey!  The back even looks pretty good!  The gold thread looks great on the solid maroon.
I'll definitely make more placemats in future - although I'll cut 4.5" blocks, as the overall size of the mats as shown here is about 14" x 11, which is a little larger than they really need to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment