July 22, 2015

Quilt 33: Royal Peacock Throw - started

At the quilting convention last April, I came across this bundle of fat quarters:
"Royal Peacock"
I fell in love with the prints - peacock feathers, flowers and medallions, all in soft turquoise, golds, and lavender. I was sure my friend Lil would love the prints - they are so very "her". And she did!

Back a couple of years ago, I completed a kit quilt (purchased at "Patchwork with Gail B") called "Forbidden Palace". It was bright Japanese prints done up in rectangle-shaped "snowball" blocks, using black in the corners and borders for contrast. I love how that quilt turned out and have been wanting to do another one with a different style of prints. These oriental peacock prints are exactly what I've been looking for.

So here's the design:
I haven't decided if I want the dark green going around the center
to be as wide as it's shown here. I'm thinking it might look better
if it's only about an inch or maybe 1.5" wide.
126 blocks, each with four "corners" (another 504 pieces) - so without the borders and binding, we're up to 630 pieces even before adding the borders.
My new work table gives me just enough space to lay out these
blocks. It's a whole lot easier on my back than laying them on the floor!
It usually takes me ages to arrange blocks in a project like this, but for some reason it didn't this time. I guess I'm getting better at it.

The center is all together. 630 individual pieces so far.
So far, so good.  Now I need to get just a little more of the dark green (for the first border) and fabric for the second (wider) border and the binding. I showed the results so far to my friend Lil (I'm making this for her) and we talked about what colour that border should be. The design shows it in green, but we agreed that pale turquoise would probably work better.
A close-up of the prints
The quilting will be done with cream thread, and I'm thinking about using my "Baptist Fan" groovy boards.

No comments:

Post a Comment