April 25, 2010

Quilt 2: Sewing the Star Blocks

630 little pieces of fabric....

....all cut and ready to put back together


I started with the triangles first.








I quickly learned to sew from a flat edge (and not run the point in first) whenever possible. Doing it that way allowed me to move with a certain amount of speed. I stitched the pieces together without clipping the thread between. This created a long chain of triangles and other shapes as I went along, but at least it kept all the bits together.



Once I'd done a few dozen I cut the sections apart and pressed the seam allowances. Here's my first "triangle block" (seen from the back) :


And here is the same block from the front:


The "triangle blocks" are joined up with solid ones to make the star. Here's my first "Ohio Star" block:

One down - 29 to go....

No comments:

Post a Comment