April 6, 2011

Quilt 5: Learning to Love Your Mistakes

Last September I told you about my "disasterous" design for Quilt 5 - a blue/green log cabin. Well.. I'm getting close to finishing this beast - finally - and can report now that I'm starting to feel better about the goof.

The problem I had with this quilt is that I dove in without completely calculating the required yardages - and even starting piecing the top! I had lovely log cabin blocks which I stitched together with a lattice-like border between each. Looked lovely but suddenly I found that the overall top was going to be much, much smaller than I wanted it to be. And so - I adjusted by making the outer border much wider.

Oh dear... it just looks awkward.

But I'm getting over it - and have even found a new "spin" on this one and am starting to actually LIKE it.

Here's a photo:



The thing I've been wrestling with is all that busy block stuff happening inside a "sea" of teal blue border. But you know what? Hm... well.. this quilt reminds me a little of photos of galaxies. So I've decided to name it "Cosmos" and love it as it is.

Here's a closeup of the border fabric:

I love the teal blue with flecks of yellow, navy, and green. Like stars in the heavens. And my log cabins are like orderly galaxies swirling in the middle.

Not bad!

:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment