June 13, 2012

Quilt 14: American Civil War Prints

I've got that tree quilt top pieced together, but have just shoved it into the UFO closet for now. Instead, I'm diving into another project - a quilt for beloved friend Julie. She's got a special birthday coming and I really wanted to give her something special, so on a trip we made together at Spotlight, I introduced her to the fat quarter table (devilish of me, I know...) and she and I went wild.

We found 2 pre-cut rolls of American Civil War prints - and the price was "divine" (as Julie would say). I grabbed a roll and she grabbed one - and then she noted to more fat quarter bits that coordinated beautifully and grabbed those. Below is a photo of the contents of the Civil War print roll (the 8 bits at the top) and the two fat quarters Julie found.
Makes ya drool? Me, too! 

Later, I visited her and took along the laptop (which has my quilt design software installed on it). Julie and I sat at her kitchen table and came up with this (dimensions are 66 x 45 inches):
 

Unfortunately, one roll of the Civil War prints won't cover the top, so I sold her my roll. We'll also have to buy fabric for the two outer border bands, but that's OK.

Here's a blow-up of one of the blocks. When designing this, I didn't really get good perfect matches to the prints we bought - but at least here you can see the block style a little better. I'll have a pieced block for you soon, showing how it looks in the actual fabric (much nicer than this diagram):


No comments:

Post a Comment