November 18, 2015

Quilt 47: Peek-A-Boo!

More charm squares!  I picked up 3 packages of these at the Gail B. sale back in August.

I adore charm squares - they whip up into something nice so very fast! The only problem with them is that they are cut with pinking cutter (which gives the zig-zag edges you see here). It stops ravelling, of course, but you get a boatload of little bits and pieces of tiny fluffs (as you can see below in the lower left on the green print). Those little linty bits just about drive me out of my mind - the get on everything.
(as always, click any picture on this page to view a larger image)
There's more than enough squares in 3 packs to do 2 quilts. So I opened all 3 packs and sorted through to see what I had in the way of prints. After playing around a bit, I realized that I could pull out most of the lavender and pink ones and use those for a girly quilt. What was left behind would be OK for either a boy or a girl.

I opted to do the more gender-neutral one first - and here's the squares all arranged (it takes a bit of time to decide how to pair up the squares). Once I came up with the arrangement you see below, I just pinned each of the stacks together - then put 1 extra pin in the top of the leftmost row, 2 pins in the top of the next row, 3 pins in the third row, and so on. That way I can tell the order of the rows as I stitch the blocks together - all I have to do is count the pins at the top!
And here we are - all the blocks together.
I added three borders - and am REALLY happy with how the yellow/green/blue pulls out the colours from the center blocks.
Here's a closeup of the blocks. Some of the prints are "baby themes" but most are just geometric designs.
All mounted on the longarm and ready to go.  If you look on the left, you can see the lime-green (solid homespun cotton) I'm backing it with.
Well - quilting this one won't take long!

No comments:

Post a Comment