November 9, 2016

Quilt 78: Peek-a-Boo Pinks and Purples - DONE!

About this time last year I made a child's quilt using Moda's "Peek-a-Boo" charm squares.  I bought 3 packs of those squares, which gave me way more than I really needed, so I pulled out most of the pink and purple squares and a handful of the white squares and set them aside.  I intended to use those for a cot-size quilt, but forgot about them when the squares ended up shuffled under a stack of other fabric in my closet.  But I came across them a couple of weeks ago when I was hunting for something else, and so I went ahead at finished the quilt top.

The backing fabric I chose for this project is a lavender polka dot print.  Because there would be a seam in the backing I had to be really careful in how I matched up the dots.

I started with the two lengths of backing, placed them right sides together for the seam.  Then I folded back the top length and carefully ironed a fold following the space between the rows of dots.  Then I pinned the folded length to the other length, taking care to make sure the dots on each length lined up (as you see in the photo below).
After pinning, I flattened the top length and carefully stitched into the fold line left by the iron.  Below you can see the stitching in that fold
And here it is!  I'm very pleased with how well the dots along my seam have lined up.
This was a very fast project - I think I spent just under three hours piecing putting the top together, one hour for the quilting and about ninety minutes for the binding.  And here is, completed!
40" x 46" - quilted on the longarm (free-motion Loop-d-Loops), 100% cotton batting
I quilted using a variegated purple-and-blue thread.  In the closeup below, you can see that the thread really works well with the print.
And here's the backing - and look!  Can you see the seam line in the backing?  It's there, but if you aren't looking for it, it pretty much disappears with the quilting on top!
This is another project for Inspirational Quilts.

No comments:

Post a Comment