April 19, 2017

Quilt 90: EZ On-Point Charm Squares

I haven't done any on-point quilts for a while.  Time to do a couple.  I found a really interesting, easy way to set up a lovely on-point quilt VERY fast using charm squares on a blog called "Loose Threads".  Have a look at the little tutorial on that site: here.  Looks pretty easy, doesn't it?

I want a quilt a little bit bigger, so where that blog's author started with 4 strips of 8 squares, I'm going with 6 strips of 12 squares:

 Next I turn the above rectangle on it's side, and cut from the center (top) down diagonally on one side.
 Then I cut through on the other side.  Now I have one large triangle and two smaller ones.
 
 Sew the two smaller triangles together.
 Now I have two large triangles, which I join:
 Voila!  Instant easy on-point quilt top!
 I pulled out some scraps from other projects to use as borders to make the quilt a little larger.
And here it is!  Bright and cheery charm squares!
54" x 54" - quilted on the longarm (free motion loop-d-loops) - cotton batting

Quick and easy!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment