May 31, 2017

The Agony of Monofilament Threads

So last week I was crowing about my "success" with monofilament ("invisible") thread.

Right.

This week:  A cold blast of reality.

I have a quilt project which is just perfect for monofilament.  I mounted it on the longarm, loaded up the thread and changed the needle, dialed the tension down - everything set up exactly as I did when I was experimenting.

The result?

Well - the only thing good about what happened is that I ALWAYS test the tension every time I change the bobbin or needle in my machine.  Experience has taught me not to just "trust" that it will be OK.  No.  I pull out a test quilt and run a few inches of stitching on that before working on the actual project.

And - when I tested the monofilament, I got "hairy" stitches on the top and the bottom.  I fiddled with it for about an hour, but finally gave up.

I have no idea what I did wrong.  No idea.  I'll probably experiment again later on, but for now I'm setting that thread aside.

No comments:

Post a Comment