January 31, 2018

Quilt 100: Rainbow Jelly Roll - DONE!

I love playing with jelly rolls - and found a really lovely one at my favorite quilt shop here in Melbourne. It was a collection of prints which were arranged like a rainbow in the package.  Wanting something simple (and quick), I just sewed all the strips together to make a single panel.  Then I cut the panel into segments:

Then I took the most narrow one (on the left in the photo above), flipped it upside down and put it in  between the other 2 segments and added plain white borders:
Now - there's one less I learned: after cutting the panel into 3 segments, there seams along the cut were far too easy to fall away.  I always do a little lock-stitch when starting and ending a seam to prevent that.  Handling the segments carefully is obviously the right thing to do - but I think also using a much tighter stitch for the seams makes sense.  I'm contemplating trying a bargello quilt in the near future, and will probably use tighter stitches for that very reason.

And here's the finished quilt!
52" x 65" - quilted on the longarm (free motion loop-d-loops) - cotton batting
 It turned out lovely - and was a total joy to make.

Here's a closeup of one of the prints in the jelly roll.  Have a close look and you'll see the print here is all names of places in Australia.  How cool is that!?!?!
(doubleclick the picture above to view a larger image)
I really loved making this quilt.  I'll have to go through my stash and see if I have other jelly rolls that would lent themselves to this design.

No comments:

Post a Comment