March 10, 2019

Quilt 146: "Chain Link" with Gembrook Strips - DONE!

Last month I posted about a strip quilt I made using Australian-manufactured jelly roll with the name "Gembrook".  After making that quilt, I actually had quite a few strips left over, and after mixing in a few scraps from the bindings of other quilts, found I had enough to make a quilt using a block called "Chain Link".

Here's the first block I made - and you can pretty much tell exactly how it's done just by looking at it:

I used 2.5" strips for this - so the pieces in the block above include:
  • 2.5" x 2.5" (5 white squares, 8 colour squares)
  • 2.5" x 4.5" (4 colour)
  • 2.5" x 6.5" (4 colour)
  • 4.5" x 4.5" (white -for the corners)
I put the squares together and added a soft grey 4" border (and backing).  I used dove grey thread for the quilting - and here's the finished quilt!:
48" x 60" - quilted on the Q-Matic - Bamboo batting

Here's a closeup showing the quilting design - stippling and double hearts.  It's quite dense, but really compliments the overall design.
A while back, a friend of mine gave me a package of jelly roll strips - leftovers she didn't want.  Looking at what is there, there's almost enough to make another one of these, perhaps if I pick up a couple of fat quarters with the same bright white/pink/green colours.  I'm going shopping this week and hope to find what I need, and if I do... there'll be another one of these shortly!
x

No comments:

Post a Comment