March 27, 2024

A Rose By Any Other Name (Toni)

 Her name was Rebecca Sue (Craddock) McClain - but I knew her as "Toni".

She was my cousin.
 
My memories of her go back over 65+ years. She was a fiercely loving woman, boldly energetic and always 100% "authentic". She always told it like she saw it, always disarmingly honest no matter the topic or situation. I grew up believing she was fearless, invincible, unstoppable. The older I got and the better I knew her, the more convinced I was of that. 
 
I remember her way of telling stories, the sound of her voice and her laugh.  She had a great love for animals and there always seemed to be pets, even a tame squirrel! She was always interested in what was "new" - so much curiosity about the world and life. She was my mother's closest confidant when I was growing up, and for the last 16 years or so she's been a huge blessing in my life.
 
And she was an avid quilter in her time. It was a passion we shared - and we spent many happy hours together at "The Quilt Place" - a fabulous quilting shop (sadly it's closed now) near her home in Titusville, Florida (photo below from my visit there in 2016).

I will miss her terribly - but the memories.... ah... the memories.  They will always make me smile.


October 24, 1940 - March 27, 2024

No comments:

Post a Comment