December 1, 2010

Quilt 8: Disaster City

What was I thinking?

I found these 3 adorable green-and-white prints and thought they looked fabulous together:


I played around with my quilt design software and came up with this design:



And gleefully went about cutting the bits and pieces out. I pieced together the first block for the top and... oh... disasterous. That center print (the swirls and flowers) looks just awful in the design. The print is too large for the small triangles that go on the outside of the dark green blocks. The overall design disappears and looks like a blob.

Well... I could show you a photo, I guess, but it's too depressing. It really looks horrid.

Had I done a simple strip quilt it would have been OK. And I think it would have been OK if I'd had that center fabric surrounded by the dark green. But sandwiching it between the dark and light prints - AND making the bits so small, well... awful.

What I'll need to do is find something else - a much smaller print - to replace the blocks for those triangles.

For the moment, though, I'm just depressed about this and have shoved all the pieces into a plastic bag and pushed them to the back of my UFO closet.

No comments:

Post a Comment