November 24, 2010

Quilt 7: Design and Piecing the Top

Quilt 6 is done, Quilt 5 is well on it's way, time to get some more of my UFO's put together so that I don't end up with a bad case of NTQ (Nuthin Ta Quilt). So here we go, Quilt 7! This one will be a baby quilt, made up using a sweet koala print. Here's the design:

It's a very simple design, just 20 main blocks with a bit of sashing around them. The green-and-brown squares will be where the koala print goes. Each koala square will have a half-inch "frame" of grey:



I cut out several one-inch strips of grey and sewed them on the sides of the koala blocks:


Then I stitched strips to the tops and bottoms, completing the "frames" for the koalas.



The koala "frame" blocks will be seperated by 2 inch "sashing" - and I'm for that I'm using an interesting aboriginal style print. I sew a strip of this sashing on the bottom of each koala block. Just as I did with my log cabin (Quilt 6), I'm not bothering to cut the sashing until AFTER I've sewn it to the block:

That makes it all go a lot faster.

The sashing fabric is a brown aboriginal print. It's very attractive, perfectly compliments the colours in the koala fabric, and looks a bit like bark - so I'm going to make sure that the lines in the sashing fabric run vertically (to maximize the bark-like effect).


and then put the sets together to form a strip of koala blocks. It's important that the koala's are all going in the same direction (a one-way print). By sewing the horizontal sashing only on the bottom of the koala blocks, I eliminated the chance that I'd get them turned to the side or upside down.


...and now the vertical strips are done.


Now ready for the vertical sashing. And as a last step, added a 2-inch border of grey:


Done! From start to finish, it took just 5 hours to get this much done.

I would have liked the grey border to be wider, but if I'd done that, it would have been too wide for the special "baby quilt batting" that I bought. The batting is 45x60 (inches), so I was somewhat limited by that. Still - it's a good size for the purpose.

All ready to make up the "sandwich" and then the quilting can begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment