October 19, 2011

Fabric=Yes/Design=No - "Crosswords"

I KNOW I'm not the only one who buys fabric occasionally without actually having a design in mind. Earlier this year, my husband and I made a trip back to the U.S. to visit friends and family. While there, I did a fair bit of shopping and, of course, trips to fabric stores were included. In Ohio I found calico identical to prints I see here in Australia, but for roughly 1/3 the cost. So of course I went nuts and bought a LOT of fabric. I figured I'd be able to come up with designs later.

Here's one of the prints I picked up. I bought 2 yards. I've no idea what I'm going to use it for - any suggestions? I'm not really a crossword fan, but this one, with quilting words and terms makes me smile every time I see it.



The photo makes the vertical and horizontal bars look a little "off", but that's just the photo; the print itself is pretty much even with the grain.

So.. hm... should I just make the quilt as a solid panel with this fabric, and then border it with solid borders of white, black and/or red? Or should I do a "crossword" quilt - using small white and black squares, applique or embroider a letter inside each white square - and then using this print as the border (and then bind in red)?

Hm....

2 comments:

  1. I like your second idea... As a left field option what about an apron? I'd do it in a quilt style with a red border etc and maybe a red pocket... Sort of a quilting reminder out of the sewing room. Btw I love the fabric, I'm not a crosswords girl either but that is too cute

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool idea, Katie! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete