November 16, 2011

Fabric=Yes/Design=No: "Cocoa and Coffee"

The photo on this group doesn't do it justice. I guess you'll have to trust me on this; the fabrics really do go well together, even though they don't look like it here.



I spotted the second fabric from the left (a fat quarter) first. Grabbed it and the other fat quarter the store had, then worked from there to come up with the other four selections. The colours are rich chocolate-and-coffee (except for the center one, of course, but it coordinates well with the others).

In terms of quantities, numbering the pieces from left to right, here's what I bought:
Fabric 1: 2 yards
Fabric 2: 2 "fat quarters"
Fabric 3: 2 yards
Fabric 4: 2 "fat quarters"
Fabric 5: 4 yards

So fabrics 2 and 4 will have to be used sparingly. Of course, I could get other coordinating prints here in Australia (I've seen Fabric 1 and 3 in one of my favorite shops here) - but I like the idea of trying to work something out from what I bought.

Friend and guru Pauline says I should try applique. Maybe I'll do that with this project - the fat quarters could be cut into leaves, maybe? Then sewn onto blocks with Fabrics 3 and 5 for contrast?

Hm......

No comments:

Post a Comment