March 20, 2013

Quilt 7: Hey, Baby!

Those of you who have been reading this blog for a while know that some of my projects get done fairly fast, others linger a bit. Well... this one has taken a while. I actually started this project in 2010 (it is actually Quilt 7 - don't believe me? Look HERE!)
It's a baby quilt. The project was launched when I came across this adorable koala print (here's a closeup of the blocks so you can see the pattern)

(click the image for a larger picture)

I saw the print in a fat quarters display - in a shop in Ferntree Gully that was closing down. I just fell head over heals in love and grabbed that fat quarter. Later I found more of the same print at another store - and they even had the love aboriginal-style brown strip material I've used for the lattice (I think it looks like bark, don't you?!).

And here's a picture of the back - just plain homespun:
This one is a baby quilt - and I used special flame-retardant baby-quilt batting for it.

So I pieced the top together back in 2010, and have worked on it off-and-on since then - but it's taken a back seat to other projects. I finally finished it, though, and just in time, as my friend Debra is about to give birth to her first child (due around April 20, she tells me).

Debra was delighted to receive it. She's fond of nature - and the gorgeous trees that we have here on Mount Dandenong - so the Australiana theme really appeals to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment