September 18, 2013

Tutty-Fruity Charm Squares (Fabric yes, Design no)

On my last visit to Florida (late May of this year) I headed to Cousin Toni's favorite quilt shop and did some "indulging". One of the things I brought back was a couple packets of "charm squares" cut using veggie/fruit prints. I'd picked up a yard or so of a "tomatoes" print back in 2011 (in Ohio) but hadn't done anything with it (no really good ideas yet). But here were 2 packages of 36 5x5 squares - 18 different prints.

Well, you just KNOW I couldn't pass them up.

We don't want all that lovely fruity/veggie wonderfulness to just sit and rot in the closet, so I pulled out the packets and started sorting through to see what's in them. Here's a photo of some of them spread on my working table:

Almost makes you drool, doesn't it?  But wait.  Notice some of the prints have definite black backgrounds. Some are just solid fruits (in whatever colours).  And notice the cucumber bit right there in the center bottom.  Very light - and a shade of green that doesn't seem to quite match/mate with anything in the entier pack.

Now, some of these are bright, vibrant colours. Others? Hm... the potato print? Cutsy, but not exactly splashy. And mushrooms? Also brown.

 Hm....

Going to have to give this some thought. I'm thinking: 
  • place mats (maybe that yard of tomato prints would make up nice napkins?)
  • table runner 
  • and a "throw"

No comments:

Post a Comment