June 13, 2015

Quilt 27: Christmas Table Runner - (2nd longarm project)

Quilt 27 was put together a while back and I mentioned it in a post last month.







I like it, but felt it would make a good 2nd project on the longarm - if I messed it up, well, it wouldn't be the end of the world. I've got a number of table runners I've started working on, so I needed to work out how to handle a smallish project on the longarm. This one is ideal.
I'm using scraps of plain muslin for the backing and scrap batting, too. Not much expense involved in this. In both the photos here (above and below), I'm "floating" the top on the batting (which has already been basted to the backing to secure it.












The edge border on this quilt is a bit problematic. The dark green fabric is a cheap calico, and it's stretching a bit, so as I baste the top down, I'm having to work the ease in to avoid bunching up. I think this is going to be something I'll get a lot of practice at - even with better calico.










Done! The photo above shows the whole thing. It didn't take long at all to do. The biggest challengewas dealing with the ease on the borders.











And here (above) is a closeup of the stitching.  I ran a straight line around the border using dark green thread, then switched to cream for the center - and there did "loop-d-loop" freemotion, as I did the purple quilt I used as my first project. At first I thought I'd stitch around the squares, but quickly found that is really not easy to do. Controlling the longarm is still a little difficult for me. I'm wondering if I need to get some kind of rulers or guides to help me do smooth straight or diagonal stitches.

So there we go - Quilt 27 ready for binding!

No comments:

Post a Comment