June 17, 2015

Quilt17: Tutty Fruity Placemats - quilting done

I decided that the 6 placemats would make a good 3rd "longarm" project - as with the first two, I like what I've put together but am not going to fall apart if the projects don't turn out.

There are plenty of batting off-cuts in my UFO closet, so I grabbed a couple and hand-basted them together to give me enough to lay the tops on - and rummaged around to find some very cheap green cotton (which I decided I didn't like after buying it) for the backing. I'm not spending heaps of money on this project - and even the tops are made of leftover charm squares from another project.
And here they are - all done.  All I did was mount the backing (as with all longarm projects), float the batting and then floated the 6 placemat tops.
The placemat is laying on a curving surface
It's not stretched out of shape, as it appears to be in the photo.
The photo (above) shows the details. I opted to use varigated thread on this project - the thread is orange/yellow/green. It turned out pretty well.

And here's the backside:
The varigated thread is even more obvious on the back


I'm quite pleased with how these have come together.

And I'm feeling more confident about my skills with the longarm.

Time to select a "for real" project for the longarm.  I've certainly got plenty of candidates.

No comments:

Post a Comment