September 21, 2016

Quilts 71, 72, 73: Mystic Purple Garden - DONE!

A while back, when I was still working on Quilt 67, some friends got a look at it.  They just went wild for it, 3 of them wanting me to make more of these so they could each have one.  How could I say "no"?

I needed to adjust the design, however, as for at least 2 of them the quilt needed to be just a tad longer.  So I pulled out my quilt design software and made a copy of the original design:
Original Design - 51 x 62"
And "tweeked" it a bit.  In the design above, the center rectangle is the floral panel.  In addition to the 2 shades of purple (solid) which frame it, I included a complimentary print which echo's the colours and themes of the central panel.

In the newer (and larger) version (below), I've represented the panel as a grapy-purple (solid) so that you can see the borders I'm adding with the complimentary print:
58" x 69"
Naturally, when I went to buy more of the solid purples, the store I usually shop at didn't have any more of the exact same shade - but they did have a couple of purples which look just as terrific, so I was in business!

Here's a closeup of the center panel:
(Click on the picture above to see a larger image)
When I did quilt 67, I wasn't sure if I had enough of the coordinating print (shown on the edge of the panel above) to bind the quilt with it.  But I ordered lots more and so had enough to use it for these three quilts.

Here's how the binding (with the coordinating print) looks:

REALLY NICE!

I won't show all 3 of the quilts - as they look exactly alike - but here's one:
100% cotton batting, quilted on the longarm with "Blustery Breeze" groovy boards.
The backing is solid light purple homespun.

So I've made 4 of these so far.  You'd think I'd be tired of making them, but I'm not.  I ordered more of the fabric so that I've got enough to make a few more, and fully expect that someone else will want one.


No comments:

Post a Comment