November 3, 2010

Guilty Quilty Secrets - Part 1

OK. I've been holding out on you. I'd apologize but I'm sure you'd know that I'm not really sorry, just feeling a little guilty.

I've been teasing friend Pauline about her huge stack of UFO's. But the truth is that I don't have much room to talk. My stash is growing, too. As a matter of fact, I've cleared out a large space in my linen closet just to store the batting and uncut fabric for projects that may not see daylight for some time.

And, just so those UFO's don't get lonely, I've been shopping again and picked up a few new bits:

First - I found the cutest koala print at my favorite quitling store - and a couple of bits (the grey and brown on the left) to go with it. This will be another medium-sized throw quilt:

And while I was in the store, saw a quilt kit that I fell in love with - "Forbidden Palace":

The picture (above) isn't terribly good. Have a look here at the picture on the "Patchwork with Gail B" website. The design is gorgeous - simple rectangular "snowball" blocks. Each rectangular block has a small triangle of black on the corner which frames the block and creates a stained-glass window effect. The simple black cotton runs around the edge, with matching binding. It's very dramatic.

I just love the Japanese prints that make up the blocks. Here's a few of the prints that come with the kit (there are 80 different prints in this quilt... EIGHTY! ):


Gorgeous!

And right next to the sample quilt, I found this Asian print:



The photo doesn't show it well, but the dragons have sparkly gold on their feet, heads, and spine. The colours are just so rich. I bought a meter of this, not wanting to wait and then go back only to find that the fabric has sold out. I'm sure I'll be able to find bits later that match and coordinate. In the meantime I'll see what kind of design I can come up with to maximize those glorious dragons.

And there's this bit (below):


This print I've had for a little over a year. I bought 3 meters, thinking I'd make a summer garment for myself, but just never got around to it. Then a couple of weeks ago my friend Karleen showed me a small decorative quilt she'd bought - her quilt had some of this fabric in it! She said she wanted to make some pillows to go with it, and I offered her a meter of this (her pillows look simply gorgeous covered in this - really sets off the quilt!). So I've still got 2 meters, certainly plenty to for a quilt.

So... is that all? (sheepish grin here...) Uh... No... There's more...

(I'll tell you about that next week)

No comments:

Post a Comment