February 24, 2012

Quilt 10: What Happened to My Momentum?

(My desktop PC is working again - so I'm no longer depending on hubby's laptop - which I was starting to think was possessed!!!! Back to regular posting...)

Last year I bought a quilt kit which has Japanese prints in it - "Forbidden Palace". I started working on it, but somehow lost momentum through the winter. Now it's nearly a year since I bought the kit (got it in April) and I'm just short of half-way through the quilting on it. It's true that I have woven other projects around it - but even so, this project should have been done months and months ago.

Here it is draped over the stairwell:


So OK... I'm back in the saddle and ready to ride. I picked it up again week before last and have started in on it. I'm determined, DETERMINED to get this thing finished and bound before the one-year anniversary of the day I bought the kit.

The quilting on this one is a lot slower-going than other projects, and that's due directly to the template I'm using. I wanted to use a pattern that would look nice on the back, but not be obtrusive on the front. Definitely found what I was looking for with my swirly template - but, as I said, it's slow going.

That's because the template has you stitching one long stitch line, turning the quilt this way and that as you go. Although Quilt 10 isn't huge, it's big enough so that doing that turning, especially on the blocks near the center, is, well, fiddly. Here's a photo of the back, you can see the swirls (the backing is solid black, although with the reflection in the camera flash it looks grey, and is stitched in silvery grey).

Each of the rectangular "snowball blocks" on the front has 2 swirls in it, and when you think about the fact that there's 160 blocks in the quilt, well, I rotate the top by 360 degrees twice for each block. Yup... fiddly.

But worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment