February 13, 2013

Quilt 15: Cutting a 10-Inch Square Into 9 Blocks

The Layer Cake pack of William Morris prints is 10x10". I developed a design based on nine-patch squares. No worries... except...

The back of the package for the Layer Cake has cutting instructions for various block types. For nine patch blocks, they recommend cutting the block down from 10x10 to 9x9, and then cutting 3x3 blocks out of that. They don't say it, but I suspect that's because dividing 10 inches into thirds gives you a pretty fiddly amount - 3 5/16", actually.

But I just don't like the idea of chopping away and wasting that much fabric. What's more, if I revert to 3x3 squares, as the package says to, I won't have enough fabric in the layer cake to create enough blocks to make the center of the design as large as I want. I go from needing 35 blocks to needing  48 blocks - and the layer cake pack has only 42 squares in it.

I could, of course, modify the design and go with a smaller "center" - I bought enough extra border fabric that it would be easy - but, no, it just wouldn't be what I want.

So... I'm meeting the challenge by making myself a template for cutting. The layer cake pack had a stiff cardboard backing - and I've cut that into a strip exactly 3 5/16" across. I'll use that along with my clear plastic cutting guide to get the size squares I want without making myself too crazy.


Necessity, as they say, is the mother of invention.
And I'm kinda proud of myself for this one!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment