February 27, 2013

Quilt 15: Arranging the Nine-Patch Blocks

I put the nine-patch blocks together fairly quickly. Now I need to decide how to arrange them on the top. Here's what I came up with:
(you can click the picture to see an enlargement)

I have four blocks with charcoal/black prints. Those I've placed at the corners as anchor pieces. I have 6 pink/red blocks, and decided to cluster those in the upper right and lower left corners. Then I decided to place the blue and brown blocks in a casual cross formation and filled in the rest of the spaces with the green blocks:

Originally, I'd planned to make the lattice around the blocks from solid cream calico - which is quite close to the back of the quilt I was using when I placed the blocks (below).
After looking at it a bit, I decided to change that and use a print instead (below):
In the photo above, the print seems to have a bit of power to it, but when you see the entire quilt, it just doesn't; it fades into the background.

This top should assemble fairly fast. I expect to have that done by next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment