July 24, 2013

Washing My Second Quilt (Part 2)

My laundry room floor is now sparkling clean. After having the washer overflow, I drained the tub and re-started it using "high/medium" as the setting.  And I watched it - oh I watched it CAREFULLY.  The water level didn't get too high this time, and was sufficient for the amount of fabric in the washer.

What I didn't mention last week was that the water coming out of the machine when I was draining it had a slightly reddish tinge to it.  Oh.. no... was something in that quilt (gold and maroon fabrics) bleeding?  Shouldn't be - really shouldn't.  I pre-washed that fabric and saw no evidence of bleeding.

After pulling the quilt out of the washer, I draped it over the stair rail on the second floor and let it air dry.  Inspecting it closely, I was delighted to see that it came through the wash quite well!  There was a small problem with a segment of the binding (about 3 inches) which came loose, but that's easy enough to fix.

And yes, somewhere a bit of red fabric did bleed - but, oddly, there's no sign of a stain on the backing (which is natural unbleached muslin). Only the front shows a little smudging of red, but it's very faint, and if you aren't looking for it, you wouldn't notice it.

So it's back on the bed, keeping us warm in this cold Australian winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment