April 15, 2015

Quilt 22: Table Runner (1 of 2) for Kathy and Katherine

I mentioned Kathy and Katherine's visit to Australia last week.  When they were here, Kathy admired a small table runner I'd made. I offered to make one for them - it would make fun projects for me, and a one-of-a-kind souvenir for them.  So off we went to my favorite quilt supply store.  It didn't take long for them to find prints to make a runner for their dining room table. As we stood at the cutting counter, Kathy spotted a bundle of prints with peach and turquiose prints in it. She was clearly in love, and the bundle was inexpensive, so on the spot I suggested she buy it and I'd come up with something.

I'm laughing just a bit - because at the time I thought it was a bundy of fat quarters. It wasn't. It was "fat eighths". Fortunately, she only wanted a small runner - 38" x 15", so although I did have to go back and pick up a little more fabric, I was able to make it work.

I opted for a diagonal design: 
(Click the photo above to see a larger image)
Oh, my.  I thought it would come together easily. It didn't. Getting the points to line up in the center turned out to be a LOT harder than I expected.

(Click the photo above to see a larger image)
I'm very pleased with how it turned out. Like all of my pieces to-date, the top was pieced by machine and then hand quilted.
(Click the photo above to see a larger image)
For the binding, went back to the fabric store to see if I could find one of the prints on a bolt. But the store didn't have any of those prints!  EEK!  The fabric for the edging (and backing) could have been used as binding, but I felt it would be too bland. Instead, I grabbed the off-cuts and pieced them into strips, making the binding from that.  As you can see - it worked our really well!

No comments:

Post a Comment