April 29, 2015

Mitred Binding Corners - AT LAST!

Ever since I started quilting, I've struggled with binding corners. Mine just never seem to lay nice and tidy - instead I get a scrunchy-bunchy, puckery mess that has never really satisfied me. I've looked at books, videos and so on trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. I've had experienced people show me - but no, something always eluded me. I thought I was doing exactly what I was seeing - but no, still that puckery look. BLEH!

It's always bugged me, but after seeing the gorgeous, tight, smoothly mitred corners on quilts at the Australasian Quilt Convention a couple of weeks ago, well, I just HAD to find a way to do better.

And I did, thanks to Aunt Sheila.

Sheila is a sweetie and always remembers my birthday (which was a couple of weeks ago) - sending a package of goodies every year. This year's goodie box included a book on Quilting - "The Big Book of Quilts and Quilting".

And guess what - I looked at this book's pages on binding, and their explanation of mitred corners and.... YEAH! Hey! I see it! Suddenly it makes sense. Why this author's explanation made sense and none of the others were clear, I can't explain. Maybe I was just finally really ready to learn.

GLORY HALLELUIAH!

Today I finished the quilting on my "Tutti Fruity Throw" quilt (Quilt 19) and quickly slapped together the binding. It took a couple of tries, figuring out the exact point where the turn needs to be, and remembering to put a little slack in, but yeah - finally looks like I've got a binding which won't embarrass me!
See??? Nice and tidy. Crisp and clean. A MIRACLE!!!
The moral of the story:

If there's some technique you want to master, and the sources of information you've gone to haven't "clicked", don't give up. Just keep looking at other sources. Eventually you will, like me, get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment