July 20, 2018

Oh, No! Bernie's Busted!

(I also thought about titling this post "The Ecstasy and the Agony")

I'm very excited to say that I decided to take the "plunge" and get the Q-Matic computerization accessories for "Bernie" (my longarm).  The dealer delivered it yesterday, hooked it up, and spent about 3 hours with me teaching me the basics.

The user interface is more than a little daunting, and not terribly intuitive.  But I was doing pretty well.  I'd planned to stitch a few practice bits and then blog about it, showing examples of what it can do... but... something went terribly wrong.

I was doing end-to-end patterns and had just advanced the practice quilt to get the next row.  Just as I started up, there was a horrible grinding sound and the machine just froze!

The screen on the head of the longarm showed this message:


I pulled off the switchplate to find that the bobbin mechanism is frozen.  There's a small metal tab, which is blocking it from rotating (photo below with an orange arrow drawn in to point to the metal tab).

I rang the dealer, and she's sending a repairman next week. 

Disappointing, but it'll be OK.  I'll just get busy and whip up some more quilt tops while I'm waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment