September 5, 2018

Quilt 112: "Oriental Traditions" Kit (Disappearing 9-Patch) - DONE!

This project came together beautifully. 

After auditioning the threads for quitling, I opted for a gold thread, as it would fade into the background on most of hte prints in this quilt.

The kit designer instructions included the recommendation to place the fabrics randomly - but instead I opted to make them uniform.  So if you look at the cream colour prints, you'll notice they are all in the same relative position as the gold/brown positioned diagonally from them.

Here's one completed block:

And here is the finished quilt:
(51" x 68" - quilted on the longarm free-motion nested "C"'s - cotton batting)
I did this, feeling a more "organized" quilt than the designer intended would look just fine and would be less bothersome to make than "random" placement of the fabrics (which means having to worry about having 2 of the same fabrics end up side by side).

The backing and binding are solid black homespun.  Here's the backing with my free-motion quilting stitches in gold:
(I do wish my camera captured colours better - this backing is superb in real life)


I thoroughly enjoyed making this quilt, and will definitely do another "disappearing 9-patch" quilt using some different prints!

No comments:

Post a Comment