March 9, 2011

May I Please Have "Happily Ever After" Now?

When I was filling out the paperwork for hospital admittance before my recent breast surgery I came across a question that threw me a bit. The question on the form asked if I'd ever been diagnosed with cancer. For the first time in my life I had to answer "yes" to this question. It was not a fun moment. I'm grateful, of course, that we apparently have beaten the cancer and that I'm now cancer free. But still, now I've stepped over a line.

When you have to say "yes" to "Have you been diagnosed with cancer" you end up having to answer a whole lot of other questions (when? where? and so on). I've never felt unhappy about divulging my medical history, but the cancer questions seemed, well, violating somehow. I felt like pulling the person who made up the form aside and yelling "I'm not coming to you for cancer - this is none of your damned business!"

It was not a fun moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment