March 23, 2011

Quilt 9: Faster than a Speeding Bullet

My first quilt was a queen-sized bedspread that I made to go with a decorative wall-hanging quilt that my mother gave me years ago. That first project turned out quite well, but there were quite a few good size scraps left (I'm horrible at calculating required yardage). I decided to make curtains for the room (using quilt material will work in this situation, as the window in the room faces into an internal hallway, and therefore never gets direct sunlight).

So today I finally pulled out those scraps and got to work.

Zip zip zip! Just about 5 hours of work and it's almost done - a "window blind" panel meant to simply hang over the window (and keep the room quite dark). Later on I'll add some loops and cording and make it a kind of "roman blind".

Here's the bedspread (and decorative quilt):



And here's the new window blind made with scraps:



Even the batting inside is made up of scraps from other projects! I'm kind-of proud of that.

I added an extra layer inside, on top of the batting. I put a layer of black quilting cotton inside in order to block as much light as possible - so the blind, when it's down, will keep the room quite dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment