May 1, 2013

Ambition REDISCOVERED! Quilt 16...

Nothing gets the blood flowing like a new project. Why bother finishing what you've already started when the siren call of "new" is heard?

A very dear friend in Colorado (Katherine) asked me if I might be willing to do a quilt for her and her partner Kathy - and of course I answered with an enthusiastic "YES!" (these days I'm on the lookout for victims). She wants to have the quilt machine-quilted, which I don't do at this stage, and found a shop that will do that for her. So I'm going to make the top here in Australia and she'll have it finished there. As I'm planning to visit them later this year, we agreed that they'd buy the fabric there and ship it to me - then I'll make the top before I head to the states.

First, of course, we needed a design. Working together (via a Skype video call), we came up with this design using my quilt design software:

 (click the picture above for a larger image)

The top center is made of "snowball blocks" using a blue print in the center with tan corners.  Katherine wanted a splash of grey, so we inserted a grey frame around it, with the tan and then blue borders to finish it off.

Katherine and I discussed the idea of possibly going with other colours - and when the parcel she sent arrived here, I was surprised to find deep red and greys:


Interesting choices!  I especially like the dark charcoal print on the right - very Japanese-looking. All three prints have a very nice "hand" to them - they feel quite luxurious

So I quickly made a copy of the original design file and reworked it:

 (click the picture above for a larger image)

I sent the reworked image off to Katherine and she confirmed it's what they're wanting -she said she's thinking of it as a "winter quilt".

There are 56 "snowball blocks" (which means 56 red squares with 224 grey corners) - and then, of course, the borders.

My very first quilt - back in 2010 - was red/white/black with snowball blocks. Have I come full circle now?


No comments:

Post a Comment