May 1, 2015

Quilt 24: Hawaiian Petroglyph throw

Hubby and me celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary last year - and decided to have a holiday in Hawaii (where we had our honeymoon). While on Oahu, we paid a visit to the Hilo Hattie store - a great place to find Hawaiian-style clothing. There in the center of the store, they had a small display with packages of off-cuts from some of their clothing - something like charm squares, but slightly larger. Each package had about 70 squares, were very inexpensive (about $7 USD, if I remember correctly), so how could I lose?

After opening the package, I found there were four different colours, the 3 you see above, and a handful of the same print in brown/cream. I studied the squares for quite a while before deciding on the arrangement you see below. I opted to leave the green out, thinking the brown and blues alone marry well enough, but would clash with the green:

The fabric isn't terribly soft - it's a little stiff - but I think this will make a nice little throw (or tablecloth) for picnics. And, of course, I'm wanting projects to practice on when my longarm arrives, so this one is perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment