May 19, 2010

Friends Who Are A Bad Influence On Me

Friend Pauline C. took me shopping at her favorite quilting supply store y'day. Along for the fun was her friend Becky, who I liked instantly. Becky's a budding quilter like me. Pauline is a seasoned quilt-a-holic with a lot of projects and an amazingly keen eye for matching colours and patterns.

We had a ball. We, uh, got a little out of control...

When we got to the store, Pauline ran ahead of me and then turned around quickly to face me as I walked in. She said she wanted to catch the look on my face. I guess I didn't disappoint her because I instantly developed a case of "trout mouth." This shop has an unbelievable assortment on display. Looks like there are thousands - THOUSANDS of bolts of quilt fabrics and an immense display of "fat quarters". Yup. It's jaw-dropping.

I took some Christmas fabric I wanted to match with something. Pauline and Becky helped me wade through the overwhelming selection range and found the PERFECT fabric for my Christmas quilt. After that Pauline went to the fat quarter table and began to browse. Becky found a handbag pattern that she liked and she hunted down prints for her project.

I continued to wander the rows and rows of calico - marveling at the colours and patterns. I was having a great time, but was starting to wonder if I was holding my friends up. I was feeling mesmerized by this store and realized I could spend HOURS. My friends might not be feeling the same. I needn't have worried. After about an hour or so Pauline and Becky hunted me down and asked me if I wanted to go. I answered "Oh heck, no! I'm having a ball. I don't care if we EVER leave!" They giggled at my reply but then I added "...but it's fine with me if you are ready to leave now." They said (almost in unison) "Oh... no...! Let's keep shopping!" and they promptly scattered to browse and dream over this and that.

Inspired by Becky's handbag, I decided I'd like to have a quilted tote - something to replace an old canvas tote that I've been using as a purse for several years. I was drawn to the "Oriental" section and found this gorgeous print:



I considered it for quite a while. Kept saying "I really shouldn't... I should WAIT" but Pauline and Becky were quick to say "oh, no... don't WAIT! Get it now!"

Don't you just love shopping with girlfriends who egg you on?

I got that oriental print. I HAD to. Really I did.

The shop owner has lovely quilt samples hanging all around - for inspiration, of course, but more than that. Each of these example quilts had a little sign pinned to it announcing that the quilt you were looking at could be had as a kit with the quilt pattern, instructions, and all the fabric needed to complete the top (batting and backing would have to be purchased separately). I fell instantly in love with 2 of these kits and agonized over whether or not to indulge my inclination.

Naturally my shopping buddies were quick to encourage me - and Pauline pointed out that the kits were limited in quantity (and once the shop ran out there would be no more of that design).

I stood there for a while reasoning with myself. At this point I had a king-sized bedspread that I'd just started quilting. I had the fabric for the Christmas quilt. I had the fabric for my shopping tote bag. That was more than enough.

By now you are probably realizing I have no self-control in a fabric store (I have the same problem at plant nurseries). I selected one of those 2 kits and then found Pauline and said "GET ME OUT OF HERE!"

Pauline was in deeper that I was. She'd originally come looking for fat quarters in shades of brown. But somewhere along the line she stumbled across something in lilac. Which led her to a complimentary print, which led her to... well...

We were there almost 3 hours. If Pauline and Becky hadn't needed to pick up their children at school we'd probably still be there...

No comments:

Post a Comment