May 23, 2010

The UFO in my Closet (Quilt 3)

When I finished my first quilt I was so excited - but I didn't have another project in the "works" and ready to go. I hadn't realized how much I would miss having something in the "hand quilting" stage. I'd gotten used to sitting every evening and blissfully stitching away - and when I suddenly was without a project, well... I went through quilting withdrawal.

It took quite a bit of time to decide on my second project, get the design done and the materials bought. And because it's a big project it took several days to get the quilt top pieced together and ready for quilting.

NEVER AGAIN!

I am determined to make sure from here out that I have a UFO (Un-Finished Object) in my closet from here out so that as each project is completed I'll have another ready to pounce on.

And here it is - project number 3 - a quilt "kit" I purchased from "Patchwork With Gail B."

I don't have a photo of the design (and I don't own the copyright to the photo that came with the quilt, so I can't post that here), but I can give you something of an idea of what this one will be like. It's a small quilt (not a big bedspread) and is made up of 99 "snowball blocks" with a simple one-fabric border.



The quilt kit comes with 2 packs of 50 "pre-cut" squares (each square becomes a snowball block). The other pieces you have to cut out yourself.

Here's how you assemble a snowball block:


First you cut out about a bazillion little 2-inch squares (there are 99 snowball blocks, each one needs 4 of the 2-inch squares).



This part (cutting the 2-inch squares) actually went pretty fast. I only needed about 20 minutes to get it done.

You take a 5-inch block and lay a small 2-inch block square on the corner (right sides together).



Then stitch across the end from corner to corner (as shown below).



Then clip the point off (leaving about 1/4" seam allowance)




Flip the corner over and press.



And here's one completed "snowball" block.




One down, 98 to go...


No comments:

Post a Comment