May 5, 2010

Quilt 2: Finishing the Quilt Top

Now things are moving along very quickly! I've got all 30 stars assembled. Each star will have a 2" frame around it (using the same gold fabric as found in the star blocks), seperating it from the other star blocks, then borders are to be added around the edge giving an overall "framing" effect.

I spent about 5 evenings assembling all the star blocks - but it only took 2 evenings to put them into strips (here are the strips draped over our 2nd floor balcony rail):




And here's the center of the quilt top after only about 2.5 hours more work. (the borders haven't been added yet):



I reported to you last week that my star blocks are mostly "imperfect" because I accidentally stretched the "triangle blocks" when I was sewing them (not because of sewing on the bias, but because the fabric has a bit of one-way stretch that I didn't realize was there until too late). But as you can see - the quilt hasn't suffered too much. It still looks pretty terrific!

And here (again) is the original quilt design (done using Microsoft Visio):



And HERE IT IS! Borders are ON now... the quilt top is DONE!



Isn't it gorgeous?!?!? I am so very pleased with it. As you can see it's a generous queen sized bedspread. We've got one of those fancy Latex mattresses (needed that for my back) and the mattress is very deep, so I needed the quilt to hang down further than a normal queen spread would. As you can see from the really tacky-looking support "feet", I need to make a nice long dust ruffle to extend from the bottom of the mattress to the floor.

And here's the detail of the fabric, photo taken of the corner of the quilt top:


As you can probably see... the outer 2 borders are a different print. When I bought the gold and maroon for the stars, I DIDN'T buy the fabric needed for the edging. When I went back to buy the border fabric, there just wasn't enough left in stock to cover what I needed. No matter - this quilt shop in Tecoma has so many options that it only took a few minutes to find fabrics to compliment those I'd already bought.

Now to buy the batting, put the backing fabric together and get with the QUILTING!

No comments:

Post a Comment