October 1, 2018

Beth

Sad beyond words today. My beloved cousin Beth McClain Bonaccorso got her wings a few hours ago.

We have a special connection and share a love that is woven with our earliest childhood memories. In the years when her family lived in West Virginia (my family in Ohio) we spent weeks together at her house and mine every summer. So many joyous memories. We lost touch when her family moved to Florida and our lives went in different directions. But eight years ago we reconnected and discovered each other again - the years melted away and we became closer than ever. We shared laughter and tears - and never missed the chance to say "I love you", even when we talked briefly on Saturday - and she gently told me what was about to happen.

It's been nearly a year since her doctors said "get your affairs in order". That shows what a fighter she is. I've never seen such courage. And I will always remember how she lived her life. She had bad days - way too many - but when she was able, she was out there going places, doing things, spending time with her loved ones. I don't think she wasted one moment.

And so, Beth, I love you with all my heart. I love your spirit, your humor, generosity, patience, kindness, your wisdom and "tell-it-like-it-is" pragmatism. Thank you for all the times when you were there for me, and thank you for letting me be there for you. I will carry you in my heart and will look for the times when you reach out to me in spirit. You know where you can find me.
Yellow roses are Beth's favorite flower.  I made this quilt for her
two years ago.  She told me she always slept better under the quilt,
and her daughter Toni told me Beth was lying under it when she passed.

No comments:

Post a Comment