October 31, 2018

Quilt 118: Tree of Life I - DONE!

I found these panels online, and a friend was interested in them, too.  She found a photo online of a quilt made by slicing the tree panel into strips in inserting coordinating blue fabric in between the strips (somewhat as I've done to the panel on the right, below).
(click any photo on this page to see a larger image)
I also found another coordinating print - the wild rainbow swirlies I used for the border (below).  And for drama, I inserted a 2" black border on eather side of that.  Well, you gotta admit: it's colourful!
49" x 62" - quilted on the Q-Matic longarm ("PRPANTO110" stitching pattern) - cotton batting
This is the stitching pattern I selected from the library that came with the Q-Matic

The backing is solid navy homespun, and I used a medium grey thread (which fades well into the top but is nicely visible on the back).

My husband especially likes this quilt.  He said the tree reminds him of the drawing style of Australian cartoonist Michael Leunig.  You know what?  He's right!
I'm going to do the other panel a little differently.  I'm going to trim down the top of the panel and will use only the bright blue coordinating print for the borders (instead of the rainbow swirlies).

No comments:

Post a Comment