January 20, 2019

Quilt 134 - Kookaburra Forest Wall Hanging (machine bound) - DONE!

My favorite quilt shop has a quilt kit using this fabric:
Have a closer look at the print - isn't it gorgeous?!?!
It reminds me a lot of the view outside my office window:
I loved the kit in the shop.  It cut the fabric into long narrow panels, and then simply framed them.  The idea is simple and gorgeous, but I didn't want a quilt the size of thier kit - so here's my design (much abbreviated from the shop's):
It's hanging over the fireplace in my quilting room.  Photos, of course, don't do it justice.
52" x 58" - quilted on the Bernina Q-Matic (xxx quilting pattern) - batting pieced from scraps of bamboo
For the quilting, a gum-leaf design would have been ideal, but I didn't have one at the time (later I bought one from Urban Elementz).  I opted for this design (it came with the Q-Matic):

I'd been wanting to try machine-binding for some time, but was afraid to do it, not knowing how it would turn out.  This project was just for me, just for a wall hanging, and so I opted to give it a go.

First I stitched the binding on as usual - except I sewed it to the back, not the front (as I usually do).  Then I flipped the binding over the edge and  did stitch-in-the-ditch all the way around using a herringbone stitch pattern on my sewing machine.  It turned out fine, as you can see:
The back is OK.  The stitches ended  well inside the seam on the binding and for the most part are equal distance from that seem.  Well.. for the most part, as you see below.
I loved how quickly the binding was finished - certainly a fraction of the time it would take to hand-finish the binding.  But I'm not sure I'm terribly fond of the results, at least not from the back of the quilt.  I'll do some looking around at videos and tutorials online and see if I can pick up any tips on how to make it look a little nicer.

No comments:

Post a Comment