January 27, 2019

Quilt 136: Monkeys and Elephants (my ugly duckling) - DONE!

I was ready to try another strip quilt design, and decided to go with blocks made of 6 strips sewn together -pretty basic stuff.  Here's the jelly roll I chose to use for it (one I picked up on sale):
I was surprised that the manufacturer didn't give this collection a name.  "Rainbows" is the same name on all (or most) of their jelly rolls. 

No matter - I decided to call it "Monkeys and Elephants" because of the prints:
Like I said: pretty basic stuff.  I have to admit that after I'd pieced the top (and before putting the final border of green around it), I looked at and just thought "...this is the ugliest quilt!"  I got a little discouraged and pushed it aside, didn't finish it for a while.  Eventually I dug it out and decided to go ahead and finish it.  Once I got the border on it and quilted it... I changed my mind.  It's actually pretty cute!
50" x 50" - quilted on the Bernina Q-Matic - bamboo batting
Here's the stitch pattern I used for quilting (below).
"Animal Crackers" from Urban Elementz
I used solid green for the backing - and the animal design really pops!  The thread is a light cream, which fades into the prints on the top, so I'm really happy I used a solid for the back.
So there you are.  My ugly duckling quilt turned out to be a cute little swan!

No comments:

Post a Comment